Monday, July 13, 2009

Student Update:

We just talked with Thatcher and the group is doing great. They are enjoying their time in Swaziland and keeping busy working with the SOS children's center in Mbabane. They are planning to explore Ezulwini (a great market, Swazi cultural village, and one of the king's residences) and maybe go to a wildlife preserve. Thatcher was able to get online at the SOS school and send us these student-generated blurbs:

Ben: So far this trip I have experienced many things. A good example would be learning a lot about the poverty in S. Africa. The art is also very interesting. The most fulfilling thing was to give clothes to the children's orphanage.


Megan: The trip is amazing. I've learned that through laughter and a little dancing, people can connect in a really magical way. I feel so connected to this group of kids and I have learned so much from the people we have met so far.

Maddie: This trip has been awesome and is better than I ever imagined. I've learned that even though people have next to nothing, they can still be happy and extremely friendly. I love teaching the kids American games; its truly amazing to see the simple things that make them happy. Our group's chemistry contributes to making every aspect of this trip outstanding.

Allie: I'm enjoying every moment of this trip. I especially love meeting so many people - from kids to artists to the students and leaders on this trip. I have learned to take every day as it comes and appreciate it.

Maia: My trip has been amazing so far. I've really enjoyed getting to know some of the people here and learn how they do things. It's also been amazing to see how happy the kids are to see us and how appreciative they are.

Ryan: My trip has been supafly so far. Everyone in the group has been amazing. I've learned a lot about South African language and culture but I still have much to learn.

Josh: This trip so far has been amazing. The group itself has made it even better including Thatcher and Sarah. I have begun to realize how thankful I am for where I live. The people here are super nice even when they are living a rough life. The trip is so organized and makes the experience a whole lot better. I feel I am changing as a whole.

Winnie: The trip is awesome so far and I cannot wait for the adventures that will come in the next few weeks.

Freddy: My trip has been great. I have seen so many new things and have been impacted by a lot of of the great people in South Africa. The people here are so friendly and have made me smile. The people in my group are fun to be with and it is going to be a sad day when the trip ends.

Toni: I'm enjoying my time here in Africa. I met a lot of new faces and big smiles since I have been here. My group is wonderful and I couldn't ask for better. Our everyday trips are great. From trips, like those to the museums, I have learned a lot about South Africa's history. This allows me to see how far they have come. I'm happy to be here and can't wait to see what's next!!!

Jazmyn: The trip so far has been amazing. The kids have personally changed my point of view and it has only been 7 days. I look at things with gratefulness for what I have. My group is also amazing. I get along with them all so well. We can never stop laughing. The most moving thing this far was when I met a little girl named Boomi... all she wanted was to play and nothing else, even though she deserved so much more. I am looking forward to the rest of the trip.

Clara: On this trip I have learned to take advantage of every moment: be helpful, open minded, and nice with people. I've improved my English and made lots of friends. I've learned to share smiles with kids even though we don't speak the same language. Ive seen how families live in South Africa and Swaziland and learned some of their language. I've probably learned more this week than I have in the past year and I've had lots of fun. We have learned to work as a group.